Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Tales of a Hardworking Aspie

Tales of a Hardworking Aspie

Today at work, my manager asked me a bunch of questions which I can basically sum up into one 2-part question: "How can you break down barriers with your coworkers and repair the relationships?" I answered honestly. I told him that I had no idea. 

I've been trying so hard to prove that I can be a leader and that my Aspergers won't limit me, but I find myself in a familiar situation. My good intentions are being misunderstood, some of my co-workers are having issues with me, and apparently one of my co-workers and I are not working well together at all (and it's being noticed by fellow co-workers). 

I knew that the one co-worker and I were having communication issues but I didn't think they were affecting anyone but the two of us. When my manager said that we were setting a bad example and I needed to make things better, I was surprised. 

Being unable to answer his questions, my manager began giving me suggestions on how to repair relationships with my co-workers. He told me that I need to pull aside the co-worker that I'm not getting along with and that we should talk things out. I explained that I don't dislike him and that I don't know why he has issues with me, and was told that we could nip this in the butt before it got out of hand, but I had to "want to". I explained my dislike for (actually my inability to participate in) confrontation, and he just told me that I have to do something uncomfortable to make things better.

I was honestly impressed with some of the ideas that my manager gave me to get to know my co-workers better. He wants me to pull them aside, ask them what they want to get out of working for the company, what they like to do in their off-time, what would make it the perfect job... things of that nature. He also said that asking their opinions would flatter them (although I didn't completely understand that part). 

I will follow my manager's advice, even though it will probably be the most uncomfortable thing I've done in a long time; but I have no idea what will come of it. I know I'm not typically the most optimistic person, but if I'm going to be that uncomfortable, my hope is that this will work out in my favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment