Total Pageviews

Friday, June 13, 2014

The Importance of Routine

The Importance of Routine

A love of routine is one of the most common shared traits among people across the Autism spectrum. I never fully understood why I loved my routine, I just did. When I was younger, I would try to schedule out my entire day. I would get upset if my mother sprung a surprise shopping trip on me after I'd created that day's agenda. If something took longer than planned, the rest of my day was thrown off. If I finished too soon, I had nothing to do until the next thing on my list. 

Eventually I gave in and decided not to write my schedule in stone. That said, I never truly gave up my need for control. I still follow a routine; it's just not written down. 

Every morning I wake up, turn on my computer, and check the same websites in the same order whilst laying in the same position against the same pillow. When I'm through, I get a drink and my cereal and bring it into my bedroom where I take my pills then eat my breakfast. I re-check my websites after breakfast and double check my work schedule, then get ready for work exactly 15 minutes before I have to leave my apartment. 

I lock my front door and check the knob 3 times. I drive to work, park in the same space as always, and lock my car 5 times, making sure I hear 5 beeps. I go into my day job, clock in, check my sales numbers, check the comments for the department, check my email, make the daily schedule, and create the daily task list (always in that order). I take my 15 minute break at 1pm every day. If someone interrupts my routine, I'm completely thrown for a loop. 

On days that I work both jobs, I quickly drive home, make dinner, eat while watching something on my computer, check my websites again, and get ready for my night job exactly 15 minutes before I have to leave my apartment. I lock my front door and check the knob 3 times. I drive to work, park in the same space as always, and lock my car 5 times, making sure I hear 5 beeps. I clock in and begin my shift. If I'm folding pizza boxes, every one of my coupon sheets is stuck in the same exact place and is perfectly straight. If I'm making cheese and pepper packets, everything is laser-lined and orderly. My hands do these tasks without my brain needing to pitch in. 

I always thought that I loved having a routine because it made me comfortable. It prevented surprises which was good, because I hate surprises. Upon delving deeper, I realized that the reason I don't like surprises is the same reason I don't like change... which is the same reason I love routine: I need to have the control. 

Last night, I came home from work to find that I had no power. I had flashlights and I was able to play a video on my laptop to fall asleep to, but my entire nighttime routine (basically a reverse of my morning routine) was disrupted. In addition, my new routine of writing a blog entry every night before bed was also disrupted. The reason it's so easy for me to write an entry every night is that it's become a part of the routine. I now spend time during the day thinking about a topic to explore instead of using that same time to daydream. Last night, my mind was racing because I'd been planning my blog topic for a good part of the day and didn't get to write it. I had no control last night. I couldn't get the power back and I couldn't change my situation. In response, my body fought and I barely got any sleep because my brain refused to give in to the meds that are meant to make it shut down for the night. 

There will certainly be more entries on routine to come. I know there's more to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment