Total Pageviews

Monday, July 7, 2014

A Shock To The System

A Shock To The System

If you know anyone with Aspergers (or have read my blog), you know how essential routine can be. I've said it before and I'll say it again: if someone interrupts my routine, I'm completely thrown for a loop! Well, after a year, it's finally happened. My daily routine has been disrupted. 

I've been working the same shifts at each job for over a full year. Always morning shifts at my electronics store and always night shifts at the pizzeria. I can perform all opening tasks at my store without even thinking. 

In May, I took on a full-time position at my store. Since then, my routine had remained intact. I had worked out this schedule when I first began both jobs a year earlier, and no one expected things to change right away. 

I expected change to come, but assumed that it would would be spoken about at length and would be gradual... it was not. One day, I looked at my schedule and I was scheduled to work two closing shifts. After discussing things with management, I agreed to the change, but didn't think about how it would effect my routine. 

I love both my jobs and will do anything I need to in order to keep everyone happy. I never thought there would be an issue with my routine. The change seemed minor enough; getting home earlier at night and not having to wake up as early. The problem, I've discovered, was that in getting home earlier, I was able to get sidetracked and obsessed with random internet research. The hours of being on the internet kept me up later at night, leading to me sleeping later in the mornings. I started being less productive during the day, more tired, and last night, I slept through my blogging (when I woke up at 4am, it was not the time). I know I'll get used to it, but until then, my system is in quite a shock.

So I may have to rely on coping mechanisms. I've had people suggest using a timer when I go onto the internet so that I don't get carried away with random research. I've discovered two inherent problems with that. The first is that I turn the timer off and keep going. The second is that I never know what is going to stick in my brain as an obsession and cause a three or four hour marathon of research. 

So now I turn to you readers: please leave coping mechanisms in the comments section. I will be forever grateful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment